Friday, December 31, 2010

Firefox Tabs Won't Close: Solved

Mozilla Firefox IconImage via Wikipedia
I have been having this problem for the longest ever since the new version of Mozilla's Firefox browser was released.  It's random, but sometimes my tabs will just straight up not close when I try to use the "x" button or the Window's keyboard shortcut to close a tab, Ctrl + w.  Sometimes I was unable to close any tabs at all! This has been going on for months and I'm not the only one who has been having this problem.  Mozilla's answer has been to uninstall each of your add-ons one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem...no who wants to do that?

After searching through the forum I finally came across someone who posted a possible solution that thankfully worked for me. It seems that the add-on Invisible Hand was doing some invisible magic that prevented me from closing my tabs.  

Hopefully this helps out many of you out there who've been having the same problem.
In the process, I also switched back to the Pale Moon browser.  In a nutshell, it's the same as Firefox except it runs 25% faster.  It even ports over your bookmarks, add-ons, etc. from Firefox upon installation. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , ,